linemantoolbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frequency - Hertz

3 posters

Go down

Frequency - Hertz Empty Frequency - Hertz

Post  rcdallas Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:49 pm

I've learned a big deal in the inner makings of how generation works and what affect it has when there isn't enough supply for generation.

North America we generate at 60 hertz where everything else is 50 hertz.

When generation can't keep up with the load the frequency drops 59.8, 59.5 we need to shed some load. Feeders that are designated for rolling black outs. 58.9 substation under frequency relays shut down critical feeders such as hospitals, etc. 58.1 we just lost the grid; depending on how fast the grid operators can work with this before the generators get to a certain point they might be able to bring the grid back up pretty quick - such as the NE blackout 6 or 7 years ago (combined with operator error and relay error). 3 days not bad considering if they couldn't work it like they did a total shut down would be a minimum of 7 to 10 days provided things go smooth easing the load and generator in sync, etc, etc.

Major load customer shuts down their load and the frequency goes up 60.3 we have too much generation Nuclear operator needs to talk to coal operator; someone needs to shut down a generator.

Nuclear is a mother operator is essence, generate 500 MW compared to the 200 MW lignite plant, keep the nuke running while the lignite supplements.

Never knew any of this stuff before; in all my schooling it never went into anything about frequency.

Anyone wanna be a geek? In Texas we are ERCOT and we have to watch our supply.
rcdallas
rcdallas

Back to top Go down

Frequency - Hertz Empty Re: Frequency - Hertz

Post  admin Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:31 pm

Its kinda intresting how the grid works. Here in the us , its devided into three parts... The eastern grid, the western grid, which are interconnected , and texas which is seperate I think.

admin
Admin

https://linemantoolbox.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rcdallas Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:30 pm

Oh yeah Texas is on it's own. Over in Clovis, NM they are in the works of building a tie for all 3 grids to connect. I'll have to find the article for it; it sounds like it is going to be one massive project. DC Tie.
rcdallas
rcdallas

Back to top Go down

Post  admin Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:09 pm

I realize texas is the lone star state and maybe still a little miffed about how the alamo deal went down.... But why the seperate grid thing? Why not sell excess megawatts to other states?

admin
Admin

https://linemantoolbox.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rcdallas Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:45 pm

admin wrote:I realize texas is the lone star state and maybe still a little miffed about how the alamo deal went down.... But why the seperate grid thing? Why not sell excess megawatts to other states?

Aww shit. Stir the pot a little you damn yankee. lol

Texas doesn't have enough power to share. It was what 2 years ago I think where we had rolling black outs because our frequency dropped. They are building the snot out of 345kv transmission lines for the CREZ project to bring in Wind Generation. Over the summer ERCOT even came up with an "APP" for people to alert them to conserve on their phones.

EPA and all the other good stuff helps. Coal fired plants...think there are 4 nuclear in the state.
rcdallas
rcdallas

Back to top Go down

Post  MI-Lineman Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:20 am

rcdallas™️ wrote:
admin wrote:I realize texas is the lone star state and maybe still a little miffed about how the alamo deal went down.... But why the seperate grid thing? Why not sell excess megawatts to other states?

Aww shit. Stir the pot a little you damn yankee. lol

Texas doesn't have enough power to share. It was what 2 years ago I think where we had rolling black outs because our frequency dropped. They are building the snot out of 345kv transmission lines for the CREZ project to bring in Wind Generation. Over the summer ERCOT even came up with an "APP" for people to alert them to conserve on their phones.

EPA and all the other good stuff helps. Coal fired plants...think there are 4 nuclear in the state.

Y'all better do somethin cuz I heard a bunch in TX wanna annex themselves from the US! stiring the pot
MI-Lineman
MI-Lineman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum