linemantoolbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SLTC anyone?

2 posters

Go down

SLTC anyone? Empty SLTC anyone?

Post  delzell45 Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:01 am

Hey i've been reading threads here for awhile, but this is my first one. Anyways I'm interested in the SLTC program in Georgia and I was wondering if anyone else has attended this school? If you think they have a good reputation and how you career is going? If they have people coming to hire right out of the class. I realize sometimes you might have to wait, but I want to go to work right out of school. I want to travel and im thinking that would be easier to get into??? How would you get on a storm restoration crew or something like that?
Thanks in advance for any advice or respnses I really do I appreciate it.

delzell45

Back to top Go down

SLTC anyone? Empty Re: SLTC anyone?

Post  rcdallas Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:12 am

delzell45 wrote:Hey i've been reading threads here for awhile, but this is my first one. Anyways I'm interested in the SLTC program in Georgia and I was wondering if anyone else has attended this school? If you think they have a good reputation and how you career is going? If they have people coming to hire right out of the class. I realize sometimes you might have to wait, but I want to go to work right out of school. I want to travel and im thinking that would be easier to get into??? How would you get on a storm restoration crew or something like that?
Thanks in advance for any advice or respnses I really do I appreciate it.

That's where I went...done topped out and went on to be in for a more specialized title. There is another guy on here that went there before I did and he's doing well.

I had a job 3 weeks before graduation; ended up hiring on at a coop in Central Texas then moved on. All in all I think SLTC will teach you a bunch; by all means there are other avenues to get in but you'll definitely have an edge. You get out of it what you put in to it.
rcdallas
rcdallas

Back to top Go down

Post  delzell45 Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:26 pm

You said you had a job 3 weeks before graduation were you applying during school or did someone come there and offer you a job?

delzell45

Back to top Go down

Post  rcdallas Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:10 pm

During the school I had put in for several different jobs; one for example was Kissimmee Utility Authority--I expressed I was in SLTC and when my graduation date was...THE VERY next day after graduation they called me up.

As the curriculum went on several different companies came in and would put on a dog and pony show and you could apply with them.

One day a guy from Farmers Electric Coop in Texas came in...then week or two later an instructor came in the classroom saying whoever wants to put in for a job in Texas raise their hand, so I did and then they took us out of the classroom and said ok saddle up and take a ride out there you'll be interviewing out there. So 4 of us packed up in my excursion and interviewed. Went and took a tour of coop and week later they made a job offer.

The jobs are out there you just have to be flexible and go where the work is. Major utilities don't hire over night. Where I'm at it was a 6 month process.

Now I may piss some people off but NLC just seems from what I reckon too soft whereas SLTC leans on you more.
rcdallas
rcdallas

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum